What is the AHEC Scholars Program?
The Indiana AHEC Network Scholars program aims to prepare students to enter the health professions workforce by teaching them the necessary 'soft skills' that might be missing for the student's normal academic curriculum.
AHEC Scholars is designed specifically for applicants who have a strong interest in providing care to family and friends in rural and medically underserved communities across Indiana, specifically as a health care provider.
Varies based upon AHEC regional center selected.
2 year time commitment, requiring approximately 80 hours of effort (40hours/year).
- 40 hours will be spent completing online learning modules and interacting via the web-based platform called Canvas.
- 40 hours will be spent participating in various shadowing, career advancement, and research opportunities.
Students attending and fully completing the scholars program will receive $750 per year, totaling a maximum of paid stipend of $1,500.
- Must be in the final two-years of your health professions program. (Two-year degree programs are eligible to apply.)*
- Preference given to legal residents of Indiana.
- Must have transportation - this program includes multiple site visits across the selected AHEC region.
- Unofficial copy of your transcripts.
- Must pass a criminal background check - AHEC will pay for this.
- Must be available to participate for two years.
- Must be available to participate in 40 hours of online didactic training and 40 hours of team-based community experiences per year.
- Must be willing to respond to AHEC on an annual basis upon completion of the Scholars program for updates on practice location and activities.
Applications currently being accepted! Apply here.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org for for more information!!
* The following majors are not eligible to apply: Biology, Pre-Med, Chemistry, Radiation Therapy, Cytology, Pre-Vet, Respiratory Therapy, Athletic Training, Physical Therapy Assistant (PTs eligible to apply), Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTs eligible to apply) and Psychology (BS).